This website is supported by its readers. If you click one of my links I may earn a commission. I am also a participant in the Amazon affiliates program and I will also earn a commission from qualified purchases.
What are the best bonsai tool sets?
So, one of the most challenging items I found to purchase when I first got into bonsai was toolsets.
Often the ones I looked at were too expensive, didn’t contain the right tools, or just contained tools you would not use in a thousand years of keeping bonsai trees.
Having then had a lot of bad experiences with tool sets, I finally stumbled across my recommendation, which is SOLIGT bonsai tools which you can grab here – (the Link takes you to Amazon)
Why I recommend this bonsai tool set
So one of the things I hate is when people recommend you specific products online without using or explaining why they recommend them.
As such, these are some of the key reasons why I recommend this tool set:
All the tools you will need
So as I mentioned earlier on, often bonsai tool sets contain only one or two ridiculously expensive tools or 20 to 30 tools you won’t need.
One of the best things about Soligt’s kit is that it is pretty much the only tool kit you will need, containing tools that can be used for trimming the leaves, developing the trunk, wiring the tree, and repotting your bonsai – the activities you will be undertaking, year in year out.
This kit then contains:
- Trimming scissors
- large butterfly shears
- A concave cutter
- Wire cutter
- Five training wire rolls of varying thickness (1.0mm,1.5mm,2.0mm,2.5mm,3.0mm)
It doesn’t break the bank.
One of the significant problems with bonsai tool sets is that you often have to pay a premium for them.
Many tools are advertised as heavy-duty and made of galvanized steel, but most of them are manufactured in the same warehouses. One of the best things about Solight’s tool set is that it does not break the bank.
Usually, you look upwards of $100 to $200 for a product like this, so finding a quality product for a quarter of the price means you can spend money elsewhere on your tree.
I always say that if you spend money once effectively, you won’t have to spend it again, especially with this set.
It is crucial to consider the materials used in your bonsai tool set. After all, the last thing you want to do is invest in a set only for it to bend or break a year or so in.
Not the case with this set, made from hand-forged carbon steel, meaning this set will last for years.
On top of this, the wire has been forged from aluminum, making it ideal for indoor and outdoor trees without worrying about breaking.
I haven’t had any trouble in the three years I’ve used this set, so I recommend it.
Money back guarantee
Finally, this tool set has a money-back guarantee.
That means you can simply return the product if you are unhappy with it for any reason.
This will give you peace of mind especially compared to other online providers that can be sketchy about offering returns!
What to look out for when buying a bonsai toolset
So regardless of purchasing my recommendation for a bonsai toolset or not, I’ve made many mistakes throughout my bonsai career.
As such, any toolset you decide to opt for must have the following:
- Strong materials– You want to ensure that regardless of any bonsai set you buy, it is made from solid materials that will not break after 12 months. Steel, carbon, and iron are great sets to look after.
- From a professional retailer – It can be very tempting to buy a bonsai set from a cheap store; however, using reputable retailers will ensure peace of mind, not worrying about the tree dying right after you purchase it.
- Not the cheapest option – Similar to the above, you may want to purchase the cheapest bonsai set available. While this will be your choice, depending on your available budget, consider investing slightly more as, in my experience, premium bonsai sets will typically be much longer lasting and better quality than cheaper sets.
- Money-back guarantee – Ensure that whatever bonsai set you purchase has a money-back guarantee to give you peace of mind.